Saturday, September 13, 2008

Children's books


Current mood: chipper

I've gone on a tiny binge this week and bought about 5 children's books for my girls. I got 3 used from Amazon so they were like 1 or 2 dollars each, and then I was looking for another on Ebay and it came coupled with a second book, $7 including shipping, so I figure I made out pretty darn good. lol

The first one I got was "One Green Frog"--our doctor has an oooold copy of it in his office and Adrienne and Angelica fight over it every time we go in. I also found 2 other neat looking books by the same author, "The Little Green Caterpillar" (similar to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", I like "Very Hungry" better, to be honest), and "I Am An Owl" (which hasn't come yet). They are called "Poke and Look" books because there is a hole punched in each page (large and gradually smaller to the end of the book), and kids like to poke their fingers in them as they read and turn the pages. They're really neat.

When I was driving to pick up Mike this evening I was thinking about animals and books because Adrienne and I were playing the "What does this animal say" game and we got to chickens... "Chickens Aren't the Only Ones." AWESOME BOOK. We loved reading it as kid, we read it till it fell apart. I bet I'm more excited about it than she will be. lol The book that came with is a "companion" book called "Born Alive And Well." I've never read that one but I'm sure it will be interesting.

Another book I bought when I found out I was pregnant with Adrienne (seems so long ago now...) is "What Do You Say, Dear?" I bought it because I loved it as a kid and wanted to read it to my kids. Our copy is getting so beat up now. lol I think somewhere along the road I am going to have to re-buy some of our books. "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" is starting to show ALOT of wear and tear. Some of our board books are on their last legs (counting and letters, animals, etc.). My kids LOVE being read to, and "reading" on their own. I can't tell you how many times I come to check on them while cooking dinner or some other chore and find them pouring over books. Genevieve comes waving books under my nose daily, asking me to read it or tell her what a particular picture is. If they grow up and turn into illiterate oafs I'm going to be so annoyed!

No comments: