Saturday, September 13, 2008

15 minute time

So I'm taking my 15 minutes of me time, and decided that since I'd spent about half of it thinking, and some of my thoughts were just too ridiculous not to document_... and I think "I gotta blog this."

I started off thinking about the books I read. Then I started thinking about the books other people read. I like classics. I like some modern authors who have some mystery or suspense to their stories. I like things which I can enjoy and learn from. I like discovering. I like cookbooks. I like art books. I like a lot of things.

What I will never quite get is the allure of cheesy romance novels and sex books. I don't know how someone can walk to the circulation desk at a library with a book in hand that has a cover of a mostly naked couple on it and check it out without the slightest amount of embarassment. Or at the grocery store. Or at the book store. If I were going to read that stuff I'd order it online so no one would know. Or at least so I wouldn't ever have to look the person I bought it from in the eye. I mean, you may as well wear a name tag "Hi, my name is Carla and I read smutty novels."

And then there is sex books. Not just so-romance, but sex. Like "How to achieve the greatest orgasm ever!" That stuff just kind of creeps me out. I'm not certain how these people come to think that they are The Authority on positions and orgasms.... and I'm not certain I want to know.

And this all got me to thinking.... I suppose I can see to a point how people could think they are coming up with something new when they write those fictional "romance" novels. What I wonder about is the people who write the sex books. They must be having a lot of sex to write book after book on the subject. I mean, it's fun, but I don't think I could enjoy it nearly so much if I was going to use it as a clinical trial for my next book. Ew. That would be so degrading. "Hey Honey, lets hop in the sack so I can work on chapter 2!"

15 minutes is up. Peace out. ;)

No comments: